Delicious chicken drumsticks are tender and juicy straight out of the Instant pot. Savory seasonings and a quick crisp under the broiler make this a weeknight dinner win.
The best part is the pressure cooker does all the work so you can spend that time making a side dish or sipping on a glass of wine.
✨ Here is why this recipe is amazing:
These chicken legs are a great weeknight meal and kids love them. Summertime is always a great time to enjoy chicken but you can make these year round.
When you are looking for an easy alternative to chicken breasts, treat yourself to this quick and healthy recipe.
🥫 Ingredients needed:
I love that this kid-friendly meal can be dressed up just a little with a few simple ingredients. The results are delicious and everyone is happy.
Here is a visual overview of the ingredients in the recipe. Scroll down to the recipe at the bottom for quantities.
📝 What to Buy:
- Chicken drumsticks
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Fresh thyme
- Black pepper
- Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor mixed with water (or chicken broth)
- Butter (or olive oil)
See recipe card for quantities.
🍗 How to make Instant Pot Chicken Legs
Making these delicious instant pot chicken drumsticks couldn't be easier. If you love instant pot chicken recipes, add this one to your favorites so you can make it again and again.
Pat the drumsticks dry with paper towels and place them in a shallow dish.
Mix together all of your spices in a small bowl and rub onto each chicken leg, coating both sides.
Then, stir water and chicken seasoning together and pour into the bottom of the Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker.
Place trivet inside the Instant pot and arrange chicken pieces (it's ok if they overlap/stack) on top of the trivet.
Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to the sealed position. Then use the pressure cook button on high pressure and set the cooking time for 11 minutes.
When done, allow 5 minutes for a natural pressure release. Then, switch the valve to quick release.
Once the pin drops and the remaining pressure has been released, open the lid and check the temperature.
Note: Chicken should be cooked to at least 170°F before eating.
🔥 Broil Chicken Legs
While the chicken is cooking, move the oven rack to the top position and preheat the broiler.
Tip: You can skip this part if browning the chicken isn't important to you. That said, I love a little crispy skin so the extra step is worth it.
Arrange chicken in a single layer on a baking sheet and brush tops with melted butter or olive oil.
With the top rack in the highest setting, broil chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned.
When done, serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
🍴 What to Serve with Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
These tender chicken drumsticks make such a versatile main dish.
They would also make a great addition to a game day table just the way they are or served with various dipping sauces.
The good news is you can enjoy instant pot chicken legs in many different ways. I've added a few easy swaps below to give you even more options.
- Add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper to your dry spice rub for an extra kick
- Before broiling, cover each chicken leg with barbecue sauce, teriyaki sauce, or buffalo sauce
- After cooking, remove meat from the bone and use the chicken in other dishes like this chicken tortellini soup
- Create a chicken bar with your favorite dipping sauces, french fries and veggies for dipping
❄️ Storage Tips
Place any leftover chicken in an airtight container and refrigerate for 1-2 days.
If you would like to freeze leftover chicken legs, add them to freezer bags or vacuum sealed bags and remove the air.
Cooked chicken legs can be frozen for up to two months for best results.
Print the Recipe - Instant Pot Drumsticks
Pressure cooking is my favorite cooking method for easy chicken drumsticks.
The results speak for themselves with tasty drumsticks that are full of juicy meat and packed with flavor.
I hope you love them!
Instant Pot Chicken Drumsticks
- 1 Pressure Cooker
- 1 Trivet insert
- 1 Baking sheet
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Boullion chicken flavor
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Pat the drumsticks dry with a paper towel
- Mix together all dry ingredients and rub onto each chicken leg
- Stir water and chicken seasoning together and pour into Instant Pot
- Place trivet inside the Instant pot and arrange chicken pieces (it's ok if they overlap/stack)
- Close the Instant Pot lid and turn the valve to the sealed position
- Use the "pressure cook" setting on high and set time for 11 minutes
- When done, allow 5 minutes of natural release time. Then, switch the valve to manual release. Once the pin drops and the pressure has been released, open the lid.
- Transfer chicken to a parchment paper lined pan and brush tops with melted butterr
- With the top rack in the highest setting, broil chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned.
- Serve with your favorite sides and enjoy!
Founder and Family Food Blogger
Andrea believes that most of life’s problems can be solved with a good meal and a lot of love. She thinks cooking doesn't have to be complicated and loves a good shortcut!