These incredible pumpkin spice latte cupcakes capture the flavor of everyone’s favorite fall beverage in a moist and delicious cupcake. Just a little fancier and more fun than your average pumpkin cupcakes, these treats will be a big hit at all your fall parties.
If you’re one of those people who waits impatiently for the return of Starbucks pumpkin spice lattes every fall, you’re going to absolutely love this classic drink in cupcake form! These pumpkin spice latte cupcakes are moist and sweet, flavored with real pumpkin puree and warm spices and topped with a creamy latte-flavored frosting.
Boxed cake mix serves as the base for this recipe, making the cupcake batter preparation quick and easy. Instant coffee is the secret ingredient in the delicious frosting, giving it just the perfect amount of rich coffee flavor.
Try this simple and tasty cupcake recipe for your next fall gathering - it has everything you love about a pumpkin spice latte except the price tag!
✨ Here is why this recipe is amazing:
- It’s Perfect for Fall - The delicious coffee and pumpkin flavor will remind you of the popular fall beverage. You’ll want to serve these for all your fall events, from the first chilly days of September all the way through Thanksgiving.
- It’s Unique - Pumpkin cupcakes and pumpkin spice baked goods are everywhere this time of year, but the coffee flavoring adds a unique and delicious flavor that wins out over plain pumpkin treats.
- It’s Easy - Boxed cake mix makes the preparation of the cake quick and easy, and the frosting comes together in minutes with just a few ingredients. This is an impressive treat that’s much simpler than it looks and tastes!
🥫 Ingredients needed:
For the cake:
- White cake mix - creates the base for your cake batter
- Pumpkin puree - adds the real pumpkin flavor
- Oil - gives moisture to the cake
- Eggs - helps the cake to rise and adds moisture
- Cinnamon - Adds the warm fall spice flavor
- Clove - Adds even more delicious spice
- Nutmeg - The final ingredient in your pumpkin pie spice mix
For the frosting:
- Butter (room temperature) - gives the frosting its texture and creaminess
- Milk (room temperature) - helps thin the frosting so it spreads easily
- Instant coffee - adds the delicious coffee flavor to the frosting
- Powdered sugar - sweetens the frosting
- Caramel sauce (optional) - a perfect topper to pair with the coffee flavor for extra sweetness
📷 How To Make Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-serving cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
Step 2: Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs, vegetable oil, and spices on medium speed until well combined.
Step 3: Spoon the pumpkin mixture into the cupcake liners and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
Step 4: Remove the cupcakes from the oven and let cool completely.
Step 5: To prepare the buttercream, place the butter in a large bowl. Whisk until light and fluffy.
Step 6: Add powdered sugar and milk and whisk slowly until well combined.
Step 7: Once the powdered sugar is combined, add the instant coffee. Whip for 3-5 minutes.
Step 8: Add buttercream to a pastry bag and pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
Step 9: (Optional) Add a caramel drizzle over the top of the cupcakes.
Tips & Tricks
- You can substitute 3 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.
- If you’re looking for a milder coffee flavor, you can reduce the instant coffee to 1 tsp. If you're a serious coffee lover and want a bolder flavor, you can also use instant espresso powder.
- Be sure to use room temperature milk and butter for this recipe. This will help ensure that your frosting has a nice creamy texture.
- You can add a little bit of grated nutmeg to the top of the frosting instead of (or in addition to) the caramel sauce.
- To give your cupcakes more of a latte look, buy some whipped cream in a spray can and put a layer of whipped cream over the frosting, then drizzle the caramel sauce on top.
📝 Frequently asked questions, answers and tips:
Store them in an airtight container and they should keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also Freeze them for up to 3 months.
Sure - there are lots of options that would be delicious with the pumpkin cake. Cream cheese buttercream frosting would be an obvious choice, but plain vanilla, almond, or caramel would also be delicious.
❄️ Storage Tips
To store, start by placing cupcakes in an airtight container. They can be kept on the counter at room temperature for 1-2 days or in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
You can freeze your cupcakes, frosted or unfrosted, for up to three months. If frosted, you'll want to place on a cookie sheet first, then freeze until the frosting hardens. Place in an airtight container and freeze until ready to eat, then thaw in the refrigerator.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes
- 2 muffin tins
- cupcake liners
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 stand or hand mixer
- 1 piping bag and tip
For the cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 can pumpkin puree
- ½ cup oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
For the frosting
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 2 teaspoon instant coffee
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- caramel sauce for topping optional
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two 12-serving cupcake pans with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, mix the cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, and spices on medium speed until well combined.1 box white cake mix, 1 can pumpkin puree, ½ cup oil, 2 eggs, 3 teaspoon cinnamon, ½ teaspoon cloves, ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- Spoon the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and place them on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the frosting
- To prepare the buttercream, place the butter in a large bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.1 cup butter
- Add powdered sugar and milk and whisk slowly until well combined.3 cups powdered sugar, 2 tablespoon milk
- Once the powdered sugar is combined, add the instant coffee and whip for 3-5 minutes.2 teaspoon instant coffee
- Add buttercream to a pastry bag and pipe the frosting on top of the cupcakes.
- (Optional) Add a caramel drizzle over the top of the cupcakes.caramel sauce for topping
- You can substitute 3 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice for the cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg.
- For a milder coffee flavor, you can reduce the amount of instant coffee to 1 teaspoon. You can also use instant espresso powder for a bolder flavor.
REPLACE THIS WITH YOUR AUTHOR BIO BLOCK